News Published: Jan 2, 2018 - 1:20:10 AM


AVANGRID Offers Safety Tips for Extreme Cold Weather

By AVANGRID





Font size: Small Big
Email this article
 Printer friendly page
Share this article:
facebook del.icio.us Yahoo! MyWeb Digg reddit Furl Blinklist Spurl
Buy the "As seen on" mug


ORANGE, CT - AVANGRID (NYSE: AGR), a diversified U.S. energy company, and its subsidiaries in Connecticut and Massachusetts are urging customers to take measures to stay safe and warm during the bitterly cold weather that’s forecast for New England.

“The risk of fire, carbon monoxide poisoning and other hazards can increase as residents try to stay warm during the extreme cold,” said Bob Kump, CEO of Avangrid Networks, parent company of United Illuminating, Southern Connecticut Gas, Connecticut Natural Gas and Berkshire Gas.

“As this extreme cold weather settles in, we encourage customers to look around their homes and make sure they’re able to keep themselves and their families warm, and to identify any potential safety risks that must be addressed,” Kump said.

Staying Warm

If you are unable to keep your home safely and comfortably heated, call Infoline at 211 for resources that can help you and your family.

Exposure to extreme cold can cause serious medical conditions including hypothermia and frostbite. To avoid them, stay indoors if possible and wear warm clothing, including head covering and gloves or mittens.

For information about frostbite, hypothermia, and other concerns, visit the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/winter/index.html.

Fire and Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Incidences of fire and carbon monoxide poisoning rise during cold weather, as a result of malfunctioning appliances, poor ventilation and improper use of heat sources. Place smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on every level of your home, outside of sleeping areas and inside each bedroom. Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors monthly to make sure the batteries are working, and replace the batteries at least twice a year.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless and tasteless toxic gas. It is a product of fuel combustion, and a buildup can result from a furnace or space heater problem. Symptoms of CO poisoning can mimic flu, so make sure the CO detector is functioning.

For more information about fire and carbon monoxide dangers, visit the National Fire Protection Association, http://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Research/News-and-media/Press-Room/News-releases/2016/Winter-weather-months-prompt-heating-and-carbon-monoxide-safety-warnings.

Stove and Range

The stove, range and other kitchen appliances are designed for cooking, not heating. Use them as specified in the manufacturer’s instructions. In addition to creating a fire hazard, a natural gas stove or oven can present a carbon-monoxide risk when used for heating.

Space Heaters

Use only space heaters that have been tested and certified by a nationally recognized testing laboratory. Read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions, and never use a device designed for outdoor use indoors. Place the space heater on a level surface away from foot traffic, at least 3 feet from combustible materials. Inspect the cord for fraying, and after plugging it in, periodically feel the cord near the outlet to make sure the plastic is not getting hot. Do not run the space heater cord under a rug or carpeting, and never use an extension cord for a space heater. Keep children and pets away, and turn off the space heater when you leave the area.

More space heater safety information can be found on the U.S. Department of Energy website, at https://energy.gov/energysaver/portable-heaters.

Heating, Hot Water and Plumbing

Keep the furnace area clear of flammable materials and keep vents clear to provide a good air supply to your heating system to ensure proper combustion.

Water pipes that are exposed to cold temperatures may freeze and burst. Don’t ignore drips or odd noises from your heating system — call your heating company to investigate. Wrap exposed pipes in your basement with pipe insulation to help them retain heat and avoid freezing.

The American Red Cross offers additional tips for avoiding frozen pipes at http://www.redcross.org/prepare/disaster/winter-storm/preventing-thawing-frozen-pipes.




© Copyright by ConnecticutPlus.com. Some articles and pictures posted on our website, as indicated by their bylines, were submitted as press releases and do not necessarily reflect the position and opinion of ConnecticutPlus.com, Canaiden LLC or any of its associated entities. Articles may have been edited for brevity and grammar. Photos without a credit line are "contributed photos".





Note: We reserve the right to delete posts at any time if we decide that they are offensive or distasteful.
CURRENT HEADLINES:
Murphy Appointed To Conference Committee For Veterans Appropriations Bill
Sound Tigers Agree to Terms with Six Players
Esty, Blumenthal, Murphy, DeLauro Announce Over $337,000 in Federal Funding for Local Fire Departments
American Job Center Career Coach coming to NPL August 6
AITE Student Ryan Edkins Took First Place in the NFTE NY Metro Regional Youth Entrepreneurship Challenge

Top of Page








ConnecticutPlus.com is part of the Canaiden Online Media Network.
Connecticut Plus Online | Stamford Plus Online | Norwalk Plus Online | Canaiden.com | Best of Norwalk | Best of Stamford | Hauterfly Magazine | SummerCampPlus.com

Copyright ©2005-2010 Canaiden,LLC All Rights Reserved.